BCOAPO -Twelve Things We Do
TWELVE THINGS THE BCOAPO DOES FOR MEMBERS AND SENIORS
1. We offer members the opportunity to network with other members around the province through our
2. We bring in speakers on a wide variety of topics to address issues of interest and importance to
seniors at our Annual Convention.
3. We are affiliated to the Council of Senior Citizens’ Organization of BC (COSCO) – membership in
excess of 80,000 – to give us a stronger voice on seniors’ issues provincially.
4. We are affiliated to the National Pensioners’ Federation (NPF) – membership over 1,000,000 – to give
us a stronger voice on seniors’ issues federally.
5. We give our members a voice federally by forwarding our federal resolutions passed at Convention to
Ministers of the ruling Government, as well as to members of the opposition parties.
6. We give our members a voice provincially by forwarding our provincial resolutions passed at
Convention to Ministers of the ruling Government, as well as to members of the opposition parties.
7. We urge the federal and provincial governments to have meaningful dialogue to renew health accord
agreements and to establish a National Pharmacare Program so that all Canadians have access to
health care and access to prescription drugs at a reduced cost.
8. We work with various organizations to promote the concerns of seniors.
9. We work with community partners to promote the concerns of seniors.
10. We work with local elected representatives to promote the concerns of seniors.
11. We are continually working on improving our website to give members additional opportunities to
12. We hold democratic meetings – Branches are autonomous and make their own decisions on finances
Notes:The federal resolutions noted in 4 above cover numerous topics: Pensions, Health Issues,
Residential Care Facilities, Home Care, etc.
The provincial resolutions noted in 5 above cover even more issues: Health (Local Hospital
Issues, Residential Care Facilities, Home Care, Medical Services Plan Premiums, Shingles
Immunization, the cost of PSA tests, etc.); Transportation issues (ferries, handyDART,